Saturday, November 28, 2009

David Copperfield attends Thanksgiving with US Ambassador

I’m trying to pick up new skills while I am in Swaziland. I'm going to ask my host family brother how to plow with the oxen this week (Ivery Oregon Trail. I can carry a baby on my back with a towel and no hands. And now I can knit while I do all of those things at the same time. The scarf is electric blue. I will wear my scarf even in the dead of summer to show the people in my community. They think its amazing that I can take a bath without help, so knitting a scarf I‘d probably get a standing ovation.

I gave my friend (Jen) my rain jacket that I haven’t worn for months when she came to help me judge a debate competition for my school put on by World Vision. We saw a rash developing on Jen’s stomach as we walked back. We were worried (mostly me because I shared my bed with her the night before) that she had scabies or lice. Later as we sat at the shop, we saw that there was a cocoon inside my jacket she was wearing. Apparently the caterpillar hairs were rubbed off of the worm and were sticking into Jen’s skin! It made her stomach get a rash. It was terrible! I felt so bad! Later we found out from the Baylor doctors that those caterpillars carry neurotoxins and she was lucky with just a rash. I search my clothes now before putting them on. I’m glad she found it now instead of waiting. I would have looked like David Copperfield having butterflies fly out of my arm sleeves.

We played softball last week. Peace Corps vs. United States Embassy. Rumor had it we were playing against an ex-marine. Is that supposed to scare me? I bench press ex-marines…for breakfast. I played outfield. There was one play in particular that could have potentially stopped time. The ball was hit out towards me. Popfly. This was my ticket to acceptance. The ump yelled, "foul ball", but I continued with my arms stretched out before me ready to dive. I think it was a change of wind because the ball (as the US Ambassador watched) flipped a different direction at the last second. The ball bashed my nose in. It was a foul ball. People congratulated me on my hustle, but it was a crappy consolation prize to what could have been. I can’t help but wonder what would have happened if the US Ambassador saw me catch that ball. A secretarial position at the Oval Office? Director of International Affairs? I’ll never know what “could have been.” It just wasn’t my time I guess. I’ll get my big break soon. He must have been impressed somehow though or felt sorry for us because he invited us for Thanksgiving. It was fun. He has a pool and offered it to us. Unfortunately I gave Carmen Electra my swimming suit for the weekend and she hasn’t brought it back yet so no pool time for me. We played football though and ate. And ate again. Probably the best Thanksgiving meal I’ve ever had (no offense, mom). My stomach hurt, but I was happy. The Ambassador read an Obama speech to us before eating and we wiped our mouth with the US government emblem on our napkins. It ended up being a great Thanksgiving. US Ambassador (the only one in a tie), US Peace Corps, and US Embassy

I was taken from my site last Saturday. Apparently my hut can flood. The roads were muddy and flooded, so I had no transport and couldn’t walk anywhere because the rain had been down pouring for four days straight. My room quickly became a swimming pool and smells like a gym sock, but the last day of the week the sun came out. My friends, two kids below the age of 7, helped me clean up. Peace Corps heard that I was living in a life jacket, so they came to collect me and evacuate me from the flood.
Me and my friend (Bamaza)

My language teacher, Mrs. Gogosha, had a stroke earlier this month. She was my good friend. She was a lady in her late 70’s and had great English. She was actually supposed to be teaching me SiSwati, but we never got that far. When we would meet, it would turn into an English fest. She would tell me about her husband, her job, family issues, whatever….but it was nice to have her living close. She furnished half of my hut with her stuff. After her stroke on that Friday, her health went down fast. After arriving at the hospital she only lasted a few more days and Monday morning Mrs. Gogosha died. It was sad for my community. She was a very involved strong woman God. She will be missed, but I’m thankful I was able to be apart of her life when I had the chance. me (Sihle Sibandze) and Gogo Gogosha

I’m getting ready for a camp for the month of December. Basically I’m just going to hang out with them and hopefully teach them some dance moves. Its for teenagers who are HIV+ and we are showing them how to live after being infected. I think I’m going to learn a lot. The Paul Newman Foundation and Baylor Clinic are funding it and putting us in a workshop before it starts. I’m going to learn a lot from these kids. I’m excited to hang out with them. Lastly, the Teacher’s Housing Project in my community is going well. People at home have showed interest. If any of you would like to particiapte just a little. My sisters (Angi Kleinwolterink and Mikki Bobzein) as well as my mom (Judy Schaap) are thinking of ideas. It would be cool to work on this project with my friends and family at home. I’ve already began to make a DVD of the teachers and students who you would be effecting. I want to send one to you guys to show you what it looks like now, pictures and videos of the process, and then show you the roof and building when its completed so you can actually see where your money went. If your interested, please let my sisters, mom or dad know. All the money is going towards the roofing materials and transporting them to the village I am living in. Thanks guys!


The Kingdom of Swaziland government assigned a few more teachers to this school after seeing the need of increased enrollment due to asking the increase of the OVC population in my area (orphans and vulnerable children). Although the government will pay the minimal wages for these teachers, its up to those teachers to figure out a place to sleep when they are far from their families. Before there were 18 full time and part time teachers, now there are 21. This is better, but still leaves a problem on how to keep these teachers around. The roofing project would give them another place to sleep during the week to ensure the students have teachers available the entire school day. This clip is Babe Mamba (Pastor Jerome Mamba), the headmaster of the primary school, greeting you and giving you an idea of who he is and what you're investing in.

No comments: